The UK is a relatively expensive place to live, with London being one of the most expensive cities in Europe.

Still, don't be put off as earnings in the capital tend to be proportionately better than elsewhere.

Cost of living in London 

Food and drink

The following figures, based on London prices, aim to provide a rough guide to the cost of eating/drinking out in the UK.

  • Sandwich £3
  • Moderate restaurant meal for two (without drinks) £30
  • Top end meal for two (without drinks) £60.00 upwards
  • Pint of beer £3.50
  • Glass of wine £4.00
  • Big Mac meal (large) £4.99
  • Soft drink in a pub £2

A tip of about 10% is generally expected if you eat out at a restaurant, unless the service is unsatisfactory. Some restaurants include a service charge on the bill, in which case a tip is unnecessary.

Although it is notoriously difficult to make a direct comparison between the cost of living in different countries, you may find this 'Cost of living' calculator of some value.


Bedrooms/flats: £100-250 per person/week

This obviously varies depending on the area and quality of accommodation so it is best to contact several estate agents.

Travelling in London

Tubes and buses in London

The London Underground (the 'Tube') is the fastest and most economical way to travel around London. You can purchase a daily, weekly, monthly or even yearly travel card, which will also cover buses. Travel cards operate using a series of six 'zones', so ensure you purchase the correct zone ticket otherwise you may incur a fine.

Buses are a popular means of transport outside central London and for areas not serviced by the Tube or other rail services. They can be a slow means of transport in the City or West End. Night buses are available after midnight when the Underground system closes. Timetables and general transport information are available at

Outside London

Although London is the obvious destination for many people when they arrive in the UK there is a lot to see and do outside the metropolis. Moreover, in the Midlands and North the cost of living is significantly lower than in the capital.

Page Personnel has offices throughout the UK. So if you're after something a bit different, why not ask us about positions outside London?

Driving in the UK

If you hold a valid international driver's license you'll be permitted to drive any class of vehicle covered by that license for up to 12 months in the UK. However, if you are planning to stay for longer than 12 months, it is advisable to obtain a UK license before the time expires. The application form is called a D100 leaflet and is available at any Post Office.

Take our CV Fitness Test

Does your CV need to get in shape?

Take our test to find out

Are you looking for a job?

Find the right job today.

Upload your CV