Senior Service Charge Accountant
An exciting time to join this well-established Housing Association
Must have working knowledge of Landlord & Tenant Act 1985
About Our Client
settle is a modern social business. As a proud provider of social housing, they manage over 9,000 properties across Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire. Formed in 2003, they were previously known as North Hertfordshire Homes.
Against a backdrop of financial difficulty for some and an inaccessible housing market for many, they're here to tackle challenges familiar to us all. They have bold ambitions to build more much-needed affordable homes and to improve the services they offer to provide an easy to access, simple to use service that their customers can put their trust in.
settle are passionate about being the best they can be, for each other and their customers. They know that colleagues who are engaged by their purpose and enjoy coming to work will act as one team across the organisation, with everyone able to play their individual part, so that they achieve the best possible outcomes for their customers.
Key duties as Senior Service Charge Accountant:
- Being basically brilliant in your job means using your skills to work with stakeholders across the business to set accurate service charge estimates and actuals to our residents. This will ensure that residents have clarity on the service charges that are due and they can be accounted for in an efficient and effective manner.
- Ensure accurate estimation and reconciliation of service charges for existing schemes & new developments to ensure compliance with current legislation.
- To calculate service charges for each agreed cycle within the development programme for review providing guidance and support to development and ensuring compliance with current legislation. This will include attending new scheme meeting and site visits.
- Ensure all invoices that require verification are passed to group payments in agreed timescales raising any challenges with supplier as soon as possible.
- Responsible for allowable costs to be coded to estates and properties in a timely and accurate manager ensuring that costs are accurately coded to block level feeding back discrepancies to the relevant departments in a timely fashion.
- Carry out monthly variance monitoring of all property expenditure against income charged.
- To lead on the independent certification of accounts by the External Auditor in accordance with legislation and the legal requirements of the lease and /or agreement for properties in management and subsidiaries.
- Develop effective relationships with the Leasehold and Service Charge Team and external managing agents to ensure all demands and notifications are served in accordance with legislation and the head lease.
- Budgets and year end accounts issued by managing agents are to be scanned and filed on designated shared drives.
The Successful Applicant
A basic must!
- An excellent understanding of the 1985 Landlord and Tenant Act
- Obtained an a-level in a numerical subject or proven experience in a numerically focused role.
- Experience of calculating actual and estimate service charges for a range of tenures.
- Methodical, organised, efficient and effective
- Clear commitment to the importance of excellent customer service with our service charges are presented
- Attention to detail and good problem solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Practical knowledge of word processing and spread sheets
- Communicate complex financial information to non-Finance colleagues
- Thrive under pressure and prioritise workload
What's on Offer
Senior Service Charge Accountant Salary: £32,000 - £38,000 per annum dependent on experience
- 27 Days annual leave + Bank Holidays
- Stakeholder pension scheme
- Life insurance
- Health Care Cash Plan
How to apply:
For further information please contact Jordan Gutteridge on 01727 730109. Page Group has been exclusively retained for this appointment. All direct and third party applications will be forwarded to Page Personnel. An Open Evening will be held on 1st November at the Broadway Hotel, Letchworth Garden City, providing candidates with the opportunity to meet the team and discuss the organisation and role in an informal setting. Internal interviews will be held between the 23rd October and 5th November, please apply ASAP to avoid missing out on this excellent opportunity.