New Build Surveyor
Exciting opportunity with a Leading Social Housing Association in Berkshire
Permanent Opportunity in Bracknell
About Our Client
Silva Homes is a vibrant, confident and independent leading social housing association with ambitious plans, backed by strong finances and excellent colleagues. Established in 2008 as a stock transfer association, we are continuing to significantly invest in our customers' homes and improving the services we provide to them. We own or manage over 7,500 properties in and around Bracknell and are providing around 200 new homes each year. We have an annual turnover of over £45m and spend over £15m each year purchasing works, goods and services.
- To attend project briefings by the project manager.
- To assess and record timely comment on the contractors proposed plans, specification and programme for the project.
- To attend pre-start project meetings and formal site meetings, and to report on surveying issues.
- To provide timely comments on working drawings.
- To ensure that consistently high standards of quality control and site operation are maintained.
- To ensure that the new build works are completed in accordance with the contract documents, regulatory requirements and current best practice.
- To carry out regular site visits and report on work quantity, quality, performance against programme, and resources.
- To liaise with contractors' site personnel, consultants, staff, residents and other stakeholders to ensure that any problems arising are dealt with in a timely manner.
- To witness in co-ordination with the main contractor, the key stages of the construction works process.
- To assist the Principal Designer and Client with reasoned comment on site security and Health and Safety issues.
- To issue surveying notifications to the Employer's Agent as necessary, working with the Employer's Agent to prepare and report on schedules of defects and to certify rectification of any snagging items before handover
- To liaise with other staff on handover timings.
- To attend defects inspections, record defects and ensure they are post inspected to obtain the Certificate of Making Good Defects.
- To advise on any latent defects that may arise post completion.
- To participate in any essential technical explanations from contractors or subcontractors on the efficient use or maintenance of key house items or technologies - and assist in the sharing of this information to residents.
- To participate in post contract reviews, offering recommendations on areas for improvement.
- To provide practical technical advice and support to other staff.
- To ensure all sites and working methods adopted by contractors are consistent with statutory requirements and Association policy.
To attend meetings with residents as required to offer advice and assistance to residents on technical matters
The Successful Applicant
Skills and experiences
- Experience of working on a variety of housing construction sites.
- Extensive knowledge of technical issues concerning housing construction.
- Thorough understanding of the roles and responsibilities of the key personnel involved in the delivery of construction contracts.
- Knowledge of Homes and Communities Agency standards for housing.
- Knowledge of legislation and regulation relating to construction projects, including health and safety and eligible for Construction Skills Certification Scheme card.
- Ability to assess risk and experience of processes to monitor and mitigate or avoid risk.
- Good verbal and numeric skills.
- Good record keeping and reporting skills.
- Strong IT skills.
- Creative and with a flair for problem solving
- Approachable, friendly and with a commitment to delivering a high-quality experience for customers and colleagues
- Flexible and willing to adapt to change
Qualifications and other requirements
- Relevant further education or construction trades qualification with experience within the housing development sector.
- Driving license with own transport
What's on Offer
Silva provides a wide range of benefits that help invest in colleagues and their aspirations, to support them to work in the way they want and that makes sure Silva recognise, reward and look after everyone. They are also constantly reviewing this and looking at ways to improve our offer.
Investing in you
- A strong established pension scheme with employer contributions up to 12%
- Support to gain new skills to be at your best
- Investment in qualifications that will help you to develop in your role
- Payment of professional fees and subscriptions
- Uniforms, tools and vehicles for accredited people in trades and supportive housing areas.
- Digital devices to help you work where you need to, because we know work and life extends beyond the office
- Free office parking
- Paid volunteering opportunities.
- A competitive market salary
- Recognition awards.
Looking after you
- 28 days annual leave
- A rewarding buy and sell leave scheme
- A comprehensive employee assistance programme to provide confidential advice when you need it
- Flu jab vouchers
- Eye care and spectacle vouchers
- Access to various health and wellbeing activities
- Discounted gym membership option
- Health cash back plan option.
Closing Date for this role is the 13th December.