Head of Payroll, Pensions and PAYE Compliance
Overall responsibility for the Payroll, Pensions and Expenses function
Play a key part in leading projects to improve processes
About Our Client
The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is renowned for its research, postgraduate studies and continuing education in public and global health. LSHTM has an international presence and collaborative ethos, and is uniquely placed to help shape health policy and translate research findings into tangible impact. They also have an annual research income of more than £124 million and are one of the highest-rated research institutions in the UK.
The Head of Payroll, Pensions and PAYE Compliance is responsible to the Finance Director and line manages four members of staff. The role oversees the entire Payroll, Pensions and Expenses for 1400 staff in the UK and Worldwide. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Liaise with staff across the organisation both in the UK and Worldwide to advise on a number of issues including Tax, Benefits and Pensions.
- Determine the compliance of staff working overseas (approx. 350 across 40 locations) and manage the process for new assignments. This includes salary, tax and social security.
- Lead the Payroll Pensions and Expenses team including providing leadership, operational support and development.
- Ensure that the School meets all PAYE compliance issues in respect of staff salary, expenses and 'employment status' (e.g. IR35) and that everything meets HMRC standards.
- Ensure the Payroll, Pensions and Expenses team respond in full to all queries and complaints within agreed service levels and all are actioned upon and recorded correctly.
- Manage the administration of the four pension schemes offered by the School and operate within guidelines set by both the School and the individual pension scheme. The post holder will need to ensure they have up to date knowledge of Pension Legislation.
- Ensure all monthly reconciliations of Payroll control accounts are completed by the team and that all journals are inputted with a full audit trail.
- Be responsible for maintaining the School's expenses and benefits policies and ensuring all claims are compliant with tax laws.
- Make key decisions in relation to the Payroll, Pensions and Expenses team, including structure of all services provided, methods and times scales.
- The role also involves leading a number of projects relating to Expenses, Global Mobility, Off-payroll Working and Systems in order for the team to provide an efficient service and the School to continue to be compliant both in the UK and internationally.
The Successful Applicant
The successful Head of Payroll, Pensions and PAYE Compliance will have strong experience and knowledge of Payroll, Pensions and Expenses and experience of staff management. A professional qualification in Payroll (i.e. CIPP) is desirable but not essential. In addition to this, the successful candidate will have the following
- Exposure to working on and knowledge of Payroll, Pensions and Tax for staff working overseas. Experience with in the Higher Education sector is desirable but not essential.
- Exposure of managing a Payroll of at least 1000 employees with complex transactions.
- Exposure to producing and reviewing Payroll and Expenses policies and regulations.
- The ability to work collaboratively to find effective solutions, demonstrating a flexible approach, while maintaining compliance.
What's on Offer
30 days annual leave
The School offers USS pension scheme
Season ticket loan