You are here
General Accounting Analyst
All round accounts role within the UK's largest oil and gas business.
Opportunity to progress throughout the business as you study.
About Our Client
The Trading activity accounts for almost 90% of my clients revenue, representing almost £12 billion per annum of delivered natural gas, LNG, power, coal and emissions. Their net margin was £330m for 2014.
- Overhead processing: help the General Accounting team control the processing of overhead costs, recharges, and employee expenses, ensuring timely posting, accurate P&L account allocation, and appropriate treatment with regards to indirect taxes.
- Accounts payable: assist the team to ensure overhead invoices and employee expenses are properly validated and authorised according to the delegation of authority schedule, and that these are paid by the appropriate method (BACS, Chaps, TT or cheque) well in time of stated due dates.
- Cash accounting: contribute to cover the processing of all bank, futures exchange and counterpart collateral entries on a daily basis, maintaining tight control of bank suspense accounts and any automatic or manual cash allocations.
- Balance sheet control and reporting: assist the team in the accounting, reconciling, reporting, investigation of the balance sheet, acting to clear outstanding items from the following perspectives:
- Aged credit (monthly)
- Aged debt (monthly, accounting only)
- Salary control (monthly)
- Intra-company settlements (bi-monthly)
- Bank, exchange and collateral reconciliations (daily)
- Balance sheet revaluation (monthly)
- Fixed assets and depreciation (monthly)
Assist balance sheet substantiation and reporting by challenging remaining items, considering possible grossing-up issues or reporting visibility. Aim to keep balance sheet accounts clear of old or un-reconciled items, closing unused accounts and help to maintain the chart of accounts overall
- Indirect taxes: remain aware and considerate of indirect tax requirements when processing documents and transactions, ensuring correct tax treatment. Assist with certain aspects of the reconciliations and returns under the guidance of the Indirect Tax Accountant.
- System and process developments: contribute ideas to, assist the testing of, and help maintain system and process developments for overhead, expenses, recharges, cash accounting and balance sheet control.
- Interactions: build and maintain good relations with internal management and external suppliers to help resolve queries surrounding authorisation and payments of invoices and expenses, and with business analysts to ensure efficient delivery of system and process improvements. Also support external auditors when required.
The Successful Applicant
Part qualified CIMA or ACCA, a numeric degree desirable, knowledge of double entry book keeping and business accounting essential. Experience of Sun Accounts or similar package. Strong proficiency in the basics of Excel. Desire to pursue a career in Finance.
Organised, supportive team member, with strong communication skills (both with colleagues and supervisors). Ability to handle large volumes of transactions and data, able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines. Adaptable and able to manage varying priorities. Able to critically assess current working methods and processes and offer ideas for improvements with strong appreciation of the qualities of good control information.
What's on Offer
- Competitive Salary
- Full study support
- Room for progression
- Discretionary Bonus