You are here
This position is now filled
Assistant Accountant (Operational)
- Ideally studying CIMA / ACCA / AAT (but not essential)
- This is a highly operationl role (50% operational, 50% Accounting)
About Our Client
Based in the Epsom area, the Assistant Accountant (Operational) role will be part of a FTSE 100 business offering excellent benefits and free parking, with easy access via public transport.
On a day to day basis the role will report in to the General Manager, and will also be supporting the Regional Finance Manager.
The Assistant Accountant (Operational) role involves;
The primary purpose of of this role is to manage the day to day Accounting functions.
The specific means by which this is to be achieved is through:
- Managing the appropriate financial controls, procedures and processes i.e. Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Cash Management, in accordance with the UK Leisure Financial Controls Manual and other Group Control Procedures.
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation of financial statements including management Profit & Loss Statements and balance sheet reconciliations.
- Liaise with the General Manager as necessary in reviewing the financial performance of the contract.
- The Assistant Accountant may be expected to have an involvement with the payroll administration as deemed necessary by the General Manager.Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist the General Manager with the following:
- Preparation of annual budget, flash forecast, weekly trading report and trading updates
- Preparation of variance report on period end P&Ls versus plan and last year
- Financial review
- Produce ad hoc reports as requested by senior management
Produce complete, accurate and timely management accounts. Correct errors and omissions, and reconcile all key balance sheet control accounts for the contract.
Purchasing and Accounts Payable
- purchase orders are raised for all supplies of goods and services (including food and liquor), properly authorised and listed on the SAP/Nexus Commitment Register .
- purchase orders, delivery notes and supplier invoices are matched correctly, properly approved for payment prior to processing via Nexus at site. In instances where invoices are not received, these must be followed up with the supplier.
- liaison with Head Office, Purchase Ledger and Purchasing Department to promptly resolve supplier queries.Sales Ledger
To oversee and ensure that:
- UK Sales Ledger and Credit procedures are fully implemented, including credit checks through Head Office.
- sales invoices are raised accurately and on a timely basis.
- company deposit procedures are fully implemented and exceptions documented.
- customer statements are raised on a monthly basis and debt chasing is carried out regularly and efficiently.
Where no Cash Office Manager exists for the site, take direct responsibility for cash office control procedures, float preparation and petty cash disbursements. Liaise with Head Office to ensure floats, cash collection and security services are provided efficiently at location.
In performing this role, the Assistant Accountant should ensure that cash, cheques etc. are banked via a security company on a weekly basis, or more frequently when holding large volumes of cash sales, in accordance with company policy.
Organise and verify the accuracy of daily, weekly and monthly stock takes and ensure the proper authorisation of stock sheets. Investigate any stock variances and report to management. Ensure that up-to-date prices are being used for all stock valuations.
Payroll Procedures - Casual and Full Time Staff
Monitor weekly payroll input to ensure it is completed accurately and then promptly transmitted to Head Office. Ensure timely answers to payroll queries.
Journal Transactions and Balance Sheet Reconciliation
Ensure that Personal Expense procedures in use within the contract follow the UKL Financial Controls Manual and Compass Group rules.
The Successful Applicant
The ideal candidate for the Assistant Accountant (Operational) role will:
- have ideally worked in a similar industry previously (Leisure, Hospitality, Hotels, Catering, Sports)
- have strong Accounting experience, as well as operational experience
- Will be happy to work 7-9 Saturdays per year
What's on Offer
The Assistant Accountant (Operational) can pay between Â£27-Â£34,000 + benefits (including study support towards ACCA/CIMA/AAT if required).