You are here
Positive about disabled people
The disability symbol features two ticks and the words ‘positive about disabled people’. The symbol is awarded by Jobcentre Plus to those employers who have demonstrated a commitment to recruiting disabled employees and developing their skills and prospects.
As an employer, you must meet and uphold five commitments to be accredited with the two ticks. All these commitments ensure that you are proactive in encouraging applications from disabled candidates and are dedicated to developing the careers of disabled employees. Jobcentre Plus will annually review your progress against the commitments and discuss your future plans. You should also review your own actions and progress internally - as commitment number five outlines.
The five commitments
1. To interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a job vacancy and to consider them on their abilities.
2. To promote open discussion with disabled employees (at least once a year) to talk about what both parties can do to make sure they’re developing and using their abilities.
3. To make every effort when an employee becomes disabled to make sure they remain in employment.
4. To take the appropriate action to ensure that all employees are equipped with the sufficient disability awareness needed to make these commitments successful.
5. To review these commitments annually and assess what has been achieved and plan ways to improve. Also, to update employees and Jobcentre Plus about progress and future plans.
You can find further information on disability-friendly employers on the government website.